Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Back to School With Art Anthology

This  month, the designers at Art Anthology were challenged to make a back to school project using primary colors - and to think outside the box.  Well, I decided to think about the box - the lunch box.  So, I set out on my quest to find an old metal lunch box to alter, and found this one (with flat sides) on ebay.


 I taped off all of the metal hardware, and spray painted it with a flat white paint.

I I sprayed it with Colorations in Waimea Bay and
Inkspot. It made some pretty cool puddles of color.

 Next, I found a mix of chipboard letters.  I tried to choose different fonts, sizes and thicknesses.

 I painted them with the Velvet in Desire, and then glued them to the box.

 I used a really thick layer of modeling paste over the letters, which provided lots of cracks and crevices. Some of my red bled through the paste. 
 I misted over the letters with Colorations in Glorious and Studio Blue.

 I wanted some areas of intense color, so I used a palette knife to add Velvet in Desire, Lemon Tart and Fiji.
 I added crayons, measuring tape ribbon and a tattered flower to finish my embellishments.
 I can't say that this was really my style - but it was fun to challenge myself to some new techniques.
Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

BJ Searcy said...

That is very intense. Amazingly beautiful! Love it.