Thursday, October 9, 2014

Day of the Dead Canvas

Hi fellow Core lovers! It's Gini, and I am here to share my first post as part of the Core'dinations Design Team. I've become intrigued with the Day of the Dead celebration, and thought I would try my hand at creating a colorful canvas. The sparkle in the Core Couture paper did a great job of mimicking the famous sugar skulls. And while crepe paper marigolds are the traditional decoration, I thought I would create them using punches and Core'dinations. 

DayofTheDead  

Day of the Dead Canvas Supplies:
supplies 
Step 1. Apply full coverage adhesive to the back of a 12 x 12 sheet of White Gloves Core Couture paper. Adhere to the wooden skull.
 Step 2. Roughly trim around the skull. Use the Sand It Gadget to smooth the edges. 

edgewood 
 Step 3. Use a craft knife to remove the paper covering the intricate designs and smooth with small craft files
 Step 4. Outline the designs with dimensional paint. Allow to dry. 
 Step 5. Sand a piece of Jillian Dot Spotted and adhere to a canvas.

Sanding 
 Step 6. Adhere the skull to the canvas.
 Step 7. Punch flowers from Brights Cardstock (a mix of orange, yellow and red). Each flower needs 4 large and 4 small flowers.
 Step 8. Lightly mist the flowers with water. Shape with your fingers to form a bud. 

flowerspinched  

Step 9. Continue shaping each flower and allow to dry. 

flowersrolled 
 Step 10. Carefully unroll the dried flowers. Assemble with a dot of glue between each layer of petals.
 flowerdrying 

Step 11. Glue the flowers to the canvas. Add ribbon to finish. 

detail 

2 comments:

Viki Banaszak said...

I love this! It really does remind me of a sugar skull.

ellen s. said...

Those flowers are seriously incredible!