Saturday, March 27, 2010

Happy Birthday from the Beary Scrap!




I'm wrapping up another week at the Beary Scrap. Haven't the other Beary Scrappy Gals done a fantastic job of inspiring you this week, with their Birthday Creations? The next birthday my family will be celebrating is for my nephew Will. He will be 9 years old in April, and is such a blessing to us all!

Most joy fold cards are rectangular, and if you look at my blog often, you can tell that I am partial to 6 x 6 cards. So, I will share the dimensions that I used to make my card. I used Bazzill cardstock for the base of my card. Cut a 6" x 8.5" base. Score at 2.5". Cut another piece of cardstock 4" x 8", and score at 4". I always use my ScorPal while making cards. This is one of those investments, that at the time I thought, do I really need this? and now, I couldn't live without it! If you make any cards, then, you really need this piece of equipment!

Now, back to the card - LOL! You have your two base cards, and you can now "dress" them however you would like. Basically, you end up with two cards -a large card that is 6" on the bottom with a 2.5" flap with the fold on the left and a little 4" x 4" card with the fold on the right. You will glue the small card to the center of the big card. (Hopefully, when you look at my pictures, this will make sense!) Any time I am gluing down lots of layers, that I really need to stick, I use Scor-tape. This stuff will hold anything! It's great for adding ribbon and other embellishments.

I personally like a lot of layers to my cards - so I cut a layer of "glow" yellow Bazzill for framing all of my designer paper. I then used the Basic Grey Sugar Rush 6" paper pad for all of my designer papers. Something that I didn't realize for a long time is that the 6" paper pads are made specifically for card makers - the patterns are the same as the 12 x 12 sheets, but they are scaled down, making them perfect for cardmaking. They are always such an economical way to go, too. After I glued my paper, I headed to the sewing machine and added stitching on all of the layers. I added a border that I punched using the Martha Stewart Garden Trellis punch, to my front flap. This is a great border to run ribbon through. It would be lovely on a scrapbook page as well!

I then distressed the edges of the glow cardstock, and added my digi image - Herbert the Turtle Birthday Set, from Karen's Doodles. I colored him with copics and added Flower Soft - Spring for my icing. This color looks perfect with the Sugar Rush line. I printed the little round birthday sentiment from Louby Lou's, sprayed it with Tiger Lilly Glimmer Mist and added dimensionals underneath it, to tuck my turtle image behind.

I hope you enjoyed our birthday celebrations this week. Monday will start a new theme for the Beary Scrappy Gals, so be sure to come back and see what we are cooking up!

Challenges:
Sew Many Challenges - Punches
Copic Creations - Greens

6 comments:

Lelia Pierce said...

Gini, this is amazing! I lurrrrrrve it! :O)

Hugs,
Lelia

kim.mom said...

WOW!! There is so much I love about this card! I love the style of card you chose and that image is adorable! The flower soft looks AWESOME on the icing! Love that punch! Just an amazing card all around! Great job! Thanks for sharing with us at SMC!

~Jeri~ said...

AMAZING!!!! Your card is beautiful and I love all the details you put into it. The flower soft on the icing is so creative and as always the image is adorable. LOVE LOVE LOVE the distressed look and the punch looks great!!

Thanks for joining us this week at Sew Many Challenges!

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

WOW! Your card is amazing... a real work of art!

Thank you for participating in the Sew Many Cards Challenge this week!

Cheri said...

Love your card - the paper choices, the coloring of the turtle, everything. Thanks for joining SMC challenges.

Unknown said...

OH WOW!!! The amount of work you have put into your creation is amazing. Hope to see you again soon at SMC