Saturday, November 23, 2013

Loved Canvas


 When I start creating a canvas, I generally have no idea what the finished piece will look like.  But it's a fun way to jump in and create with wild abandon and just have fun and end up with paint up to your elbows! This is a 6 x 6 canvas - so it is a great size for experimenting - not so big that it's intimidating.  After all, 6 x 6 is a card size, right?

I began by painting the canvas with gesso, and then layering torn strips of dictionary pages over the surface, leaving some areas bare. Then I started adding color with Art Anthology Colorations Sprays.  I used Studio Blue, Waimea Bay and Guacamole.  Next I used some of the Velvets Dimensional Paint, and apply the paint with my fingers around the edges of the torn pages.  I used Lagoon and Fiji, and while still wet, sprinkled the areas with embossing powder and heat set them.   For the blank areas, without dictionary print, I put a heavier layer of Viridian Sorbet Dimensional paint.

 
 After this was all dry, I used a stencil designed by Joann Sharpe for StencilGirl for my focal point.  I first laid the stencil down and painted on some Fiesta Velvet paint.  It was a very thin layer, but I let it dry completely, then I shifted the stencil slightly and used Viva Decor Modeling Cream and a palette knife to create a dimensional image.


 After that was completely dry, I rubbed Faber-Castell Gelatos around the edges and smeared them onto the canvas with my finger.  I also added some bright accents with Art Anthology Colorations in Glorious.

 

Finally, I added a little hand embroidery to the corner of my canvas.  I was pleased with the results - and was surprised to make a piece that was brighter and edgier than my typical style.  Are you planning a weekend of creating? Have fun!

1 comment:

MB Shaw said...

Nicely done!! I especially love the touch of hand embroidery, that accents the piece perfectly.