Saturday, June 2, 2012

Using Ribbons In Mixed Media Pieces


I love using ribbons - in fact, most of my projects are going to have ribbon somewhere on them. But, today, I've got a fun new way to add ribbons to your mixed media projects.

I found this paper mache box at a local craft store and loved the shape of it.  I spray painted it a pretty turqouise blue, but it was way too shiny, and just not the right base for what I had in mind. So, I decided it was time to pull out all of my mixed media goodies and go to work.

I went through my ribbon stash and found some very textured ribbons.  It doesn't matter that they clash with each other, because they are going to be covered over. I used May Arts Leaves, May Arts Sheer Woven Rosettes, and May Arts Metallic Crochet.


I used Modeling Paste and stencils, and added the first layer of texture.  After this, I added some die cuts as well. I spritzed the whole box with Smooch Spray, to give my color depth and added my ribbons.


Looks pretty scary right now, huh?


I painted over the entire thing with some inexpensive acrylic paint, letting little bits of my colors show through.  While the paint was wet, I sprinkled Wow Clear Gloss Ultra High embossing powder over it, and heat embossed. It added so much wonderful texture! Some of the ribbons (especially the organza flowers), reacted to the heat gun.  This just added more interest to the piece.


I rubbed Viva Decor Gold over some of the raised areas, sponged on more Smooch Spritz, and ended up with a very layered piece.





Challenges:
Simon Says: Anything Goes

4 comments: